McCreary County is named for James McCreary, who was the Governor of Kentucky from 1912 to 1916.
Created: March 12, 1912
Whitley City 1912 – present
County Courthouse – Whitley City
Location: 1 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1952 – 1953
Style: Modern Colonial Revival
Architect: McCreary County Courthouse and Public Square Corporation
Contractor: McCreary County Courthouse and Public Square Corporation
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure which sits on a hillside. The east front has a one story portico supported by four white colored columns. The north and south sections are lower than the main center building. On the center of the roof is a square white colored wood cupola with clock and a small cupola at the top. An addition was constructed in 1975. An addition was added in 2001. The architect was Chrisman, Miller and Woodhouse, Inc. of Lexington and the contractor was Brewster Builders, Inc. of Oneida, Tennessee.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1929 and the building was destroyed by fire in 1951. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $118,000. In 1952, the McCreary County Courthouse and Public Square Corporation was formed to oversee the building of a new courthouse.
E – Whitley County
W – Wayne County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014