McCracken County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / McCracken County
0187T12

McCracken County is named for Virgil McCracken, who was a military captain killed at the Battle of River Raisin.

 

Created:  December 17, 1824

County Seat: 

Wilmington  1825 – 1831

Paducah     1831 – present

 

County Courthouse – Paducah

 

Location:  301 South 6th Street / Washington Street

Built:  1940 – 1943

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  S Lester Daly

Contractor:  Ray Black & Son

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to the pediment at the roof with clock in the center. The entrance is framed with light colored stone trim. The building extends north and south from the central section. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with glass windows and a green colored dome. The building was a Works Projects Administration project. The roof line is flat. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1996 to 1997. The architect was Peck Flannery Gream Warren Inc. and the contractor was B H Gereu & Son Inc. On Washington Street is a one story buff colored brick County Courthouse Annex.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Stancliff & Vodges and constructed by John F Henderson in 1857. The building was demolished. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $344,919.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Massac County, Illinois

E – Livingston County and Marshall County

S – Graves County

W – Ballard County

 

 

 

0183t12

 

 

0184t12

 

 

0185t12

 

 

0186t12

 

 

1384k07

 

 

1385k07

 

 

x2_0

 

 

0188t12

 

 

1378k07

Photos taken 2007 and 2012