Mason County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Mason County
Mason

Mason County is named for George Mason, who was a Statesman and Virginia lawyer.

 

Created:  November 5, 1788

County Seat: 

Washington  1789 – 1848

Maysville      1848 – present

 

County Courthouse – Maysville

 

Location:  24 West 3rd Street / Sutton Street

Built:  1844 – 1846

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Ignatius Mitchell, Christopher Russell, Stanislaus Mitchell, and Ignatius Purnell

Contractor:  Ignatius Mitchell, Christopher Russell, Stanislaus Mitchell, and Ignatius Purnell

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The southwest front has a large portico with four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the pediment is a square white colored clock tower with small octagonal cupola with copper dome at the top. Steps ascend from the street to the portico. The roof is sloped. The building was constructed as the City Hall and in 1848, it became the County Court House. On the west of the building is the County Clerk’s Office and theTreasurer Office.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Mason County Courthouse.Square

 

County Clerk’s Office – Maysville

 

1579t11

 

Location:  24 West 3rd Street / Sutton Street

Built:  1860

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Unknownl

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a one story white colored stucco structure. The southwest front has long vertical windows with vertical pilasters between. The wall rises to a peak with a sloped roof.

 

County Justice Building – Maysville

 

1587t11

 

Location:  100 West 3rd Street / Sutton Street

Built:  1997 – 1999

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  CMW, Inc.

Contractor:   CMW / CM, Inc. and Codell Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a large portico supported by four white columns rising to a pediment. Steps rise from the street to the portico. The center section projects from the main building. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola with black dome. The roof is sloped.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Brown County, Ohio and Adams County, Ohio

E – Lewis County

S – Fleming County

W – Robertson County and Bracken County

 

 

 

 

1577t11

 

 

1574t11

 

 

1576t11

 

 

1581t11

 

 

1584t11

 

 

1589t11

Photos taken 2011