Lewis County is named for Meriwether Lewis, who was an explorer with the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Created: December 21, 1806
Poplar Flats 1806 – 1810
Clarksburg 1810 – 1863
Vanceburg 1863 – present
County Courthouse – Vanceburg
Location: 514 2nd Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Greek Revival
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The northeast front has a large portico supported by four high white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the pediment is a square white colored stand with octagonal cupola with dome. The hipped roof forms a peak on the north and south sides towards the front of the building. The large courtroom is located on the second story. The building was constructed with a grant from the Public Works Administration.
Note: The court first met at the house of Okie Hendrickson at Poplar Flats. The first courthouse was built in Clarksburg in 1810. In 1865, a courthouse was built in Vanceburg by Mr. Flora of Bracken County. The present courthouse was designed to resemble the Independence Hall in Philadelphia and cost $98,277. The stone was quarried locally.
County Justice Center – Vanceburg
Location: 512 2nd Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Architect: Chrisman Miller Woodford of Lexington
Contractor: Trace Creek Construction of Maysville
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse.The northeast front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The center section is slightly recessed with the entrance on the first story. The corners of the building have stone trim. The eave projects along the flat roof line. The courthouse is on the south side.
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012