Letcher County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Letcher County
1083K07

Letcher County is named for Robert P Letcher, who was the Governor of Kentucky from 1840 to 1844.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Knott County and Pike County

E – Wise County, Virginia

S – Harlan County

W – Perry County and Knott County

 

Created:  May 3, 1842                            Map of Kentucky highlighting Letcher County

County Seat: 

Whitesburg  1842 – present

 

County Courthouse – Whitesburg  

 

Location:  156 Main Street / South Webb Street

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern

Architect:  William Banton Moore of Louisville

Contractor:  Ramsey and Clubb Construction of Shelbyville

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story glass, steel and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Whitesburg. The north front has a long one story portico on the second story with a semi-circular extension in the center at the entrance. There is a bell at the roof line. The base of the building is dark red colored brick descending south down the slope. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The courtroom is located at the center of the third story. The building was originally a blue beige color and was renovated in 1998. The architect was Richards Associates Architects of Whitesburg and the contractor was Venture Contracting, Inc. of Glasgow.

 

History:  The county was created in 1842 and Whitesburg was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the log home of Mose Adams built in 1812 and razed in 1928. The first courthouse was a wood structure built by Ephram Hammond in 1843 to 1844. Reverend John A Caudill completed the construction when Ephram Hammond defaulted. The building was razed in 1897. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed and constructed by Lewis R Perry in 1898 to 1899. The building was expanded in 1936 to 1937 by Work Progress Administration. The building was razed when the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965.

 

County Health Center – Whitesburg  

 

820k18

 

Location:  6 Broadway Street / South Webb Street

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  William Banton Moore of Louisville

Contractor:  Daniel Construction Company, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Whitesburg on the south side of the courthouse. On the north side, the second story is at street level and descends southwards down a slope. The north entrance is glass and the roof is hipped. The building houses the Sheriff’s Office. 

 

 

807k18

County Courthouse - Whitesburg

 

 

808k18

 

 

1081k07

 

 

1082k07

 

 

1084k07

 

 

812k18

 

 

813k18

 

 

814k18

 

 

815k18

 

 

816k18

 

 

817k18

 

 

818k18

 

 

819k18

County Health Center - Whitesburg

 

 

821k18

 

 

822k18

Photos taken 2007 and 2018