Leslie County is named for Preston Leslie, who was a Governor of Kentucky.
Created: March 29, 1878
Hyden 1878 – present
County Courthouse – Hyden
Location: 22010 Main Street / State Highway 257
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: Alfred LeFeber & Associates
Contractor: McWhorter Brothers of McKee
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. On the west side of the front, the building projects with an entrance on the first story and a one story extension. Vertical concrete dividers are between the windows on the east side on the front, A wide concrete belt runs along the flat roof line. A small plaza is located in front of the building. An addition was built in 1970. The building was renovated in 1984 to 1985.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by H P McDonald Brothers and was built by Fred Krueger in 1886.
See: The contractor, McWhorter Brothers of McKee, also constructed thew courthouse in Jackson County.
N – Perry County
E – Perry County
S – Harlan County
Photos taken 2014