Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was the United States Secretary of War from 1785 to 1794.
Created: December 19, 1799
Barbourville 1788 – present
County Courthouse – Barbourville
Location: 401 Court Square / Knox Street
Built: 1963 – 1965
Style: Modern Colonial Revival
Architect: Perkins, Threadgill and Associates
Contractor: Davis Building Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four large Corinthian columns rising to the pediment at the roof. In the center of the pediment is a clock. The roof is hipped.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1874. The building was remodeled in 1907 and the architect was Frank P Milburn. The building was demolished.
E – Bell County
S – Bell County
W – Whitley County
Photos taken 2007