Hopkins County is named for General Samuel Hopkins, who was an officer in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, and served as a Kentucky legislator and United States Congressman.
Created: December 9, 1806
Madisonville 1807 – present
County Courthouse – Madisonville
Location: 30 South Main Street / East Center Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Architect: Lawrence Casner of Madisonville
Contractor: Ruby Lumber Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front has a portico with four cement columns rising to a parapet at the top of the second story with a clock in the center of the parapet. The entrance is faced with light colored stone. The rest of the building is constructed of dark red colored brick with a stone horizontal band above the second story. The building was a Federal Emergency Administration project. On the east side is a red colored brick addition.
Note: The fourth courthouse was built in 185 after the third courthouse was burned during the Civil War. The fifth courthouse was designed by Mauray & Dodd and built in 1892.
County Justice Center – Madisonville
Location: 120 East Center Street / North Franklin Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: JKS Architects & Engineers of Hopkinsville
Contractor: A & K Construction of Paducah
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the courthouse. There is a plaza on the west side. The west front has a large portico with four narrow columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance has three glass paneled walls rising to the second story. On the center of the roof is a high square white colored cupola with clock and mansard roof. The roof is hipped.
N – Webster County
S – Christian County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007, 2015 and 2018