Hickman County is named for Paschal Hickman, who was a military captain killed at the Battle of River Raisin.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Carlisle County
E – Graves County
W – Mississippi County, Missouri
Created: December 19, 1821
Columbus 1821 – 1829
Clinton 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Clinton
Location: 110 East Clay Street / South Washington Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: High Victorian
Architect: H P McDonald & Brothers of Louisville
Contractor: W L Landrum & T J Landrum of Mayfield
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on sloping landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Clinton. The north front has a projecting central section with portico supported by two columns on the first story level. The upper windows are arched. On the roof center is a square white colored cupola with sharp pointed roof. There is vertical tongue-in-groove wainscoting throughout the interior. There two fine staircases with handsome newel posts and delicate iron spindles and vivid colored glass in the lunettes over the entrances. The courtroom on the second story has a raked floor and old cast-iron folding benches. A balcony across the rear of the courtroom was closed off when the ceiling was lowered recently. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County District Court of the 1st Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1917 to 1918. The cupola was restored in 2001.
See: The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Hickman County Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex – Clinton
Location: 109 South Washington Street / East Jackson Street
Built: 1999 – 2000
Architect: Architecture Plus, Inc. of Georgetown
Contractor: Contact Management Concepts, Kaiser-Taulbee Associates Inc. of Lexington and Thoroughbred Engineering, Inc. of Georgetown
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building is located in the center of Clinton on the east side of the courthouse. The west front has a central portico with four white colored columns rising to a header. There is with a large arched window between the two entrances. A hipped roof runs along the center with flat roofs on the north and south sides. In the interior is one courtroom. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County District Court of the 1st Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1821 and Columbus was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1823. The county seat was moved to Clinton in 1829 and the second courthouse was a rude log structure built in 1830. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1832 under the supervision of Owen Glatz, Stephen Ray, H L Edrington, Thomas L Owsley and William Jordan. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1883 to 1884 at a cost of $20,845.and during construction, the superintendent was John A Scott. The County Courthouse Annex was constructed in 1999 to 2000.
County Courthouse – Clinton
Photos taken 2007 and 2018