Henderson County is named for Richard Henderson, who was the founder of the Transylvania Company and who lived from 1734 to 1785.
Created: December 21, 1798
Henderson 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Henderson
Location: 20 North Main Street / 1st Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Tom Paine and Associates
Contractor: Glover Brick Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and stone structure. The building sits on the edge of the central park. The west front has a semi-circular portico supported by four bluish marble columns. The entrance doorway is recessed with a glass front. The building is constructed in three tiers extending eastwards.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Edmund H Hopkins and constructed by Littleberry Weave in 1842. An addition was added in 1866 as designed by Mursine & Boyd. Further additions were added in 1875 and 1881.
County Judicial Center – Henderson
Location: 5 North Main Street / 1st Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Skinner Groves Architects
Contractor: Hodge Structural Engineers of Evansville, Indiana
Description: The building faces east and is four story concrete, red colored brick and stone structure. The east front has thirteen narrow columns rising from the second to four story, with glass windows recessed. The first story entrance is supported by red colored brick pillars with a light wide stone header. On either side are three red colored brick arches. Large square red colored brick and light stone towers are located at the southeast and northeast corners.
Note: The cost of construction was $8,500,000.
E – Daviess County
W – Union County
Photos taken 2007