Greenup County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Greenup County
0702WV12

Greenup County is named for Christopher Greenup, who was a Governor of Kentucky.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Scioto County, Ohio and Lawrence County, Ohio

E – Lawrence County, Ohio and Boyd County

S – Carter County

W – Lewis County

 

Created:  December 12, 1803                Map of Kentucky highlighting Greenup County

County Seat: 

Greenup  1804 – present

 

County Courthouse – Greenup 

 

Location:  301 Main Street / Washington Street

Built:  1937 – 1938

Style:  Moderne Gothic

Architect:  Paul Jones Arnett

Contractor:  Works Project Administration

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story rough buff colored sandstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Greenup. The sandstone used in the construction of the building was quarried from nearby Lewis County. The south front has dual stairs leading up to the second story entrance which has an arched window above on the third story. The center section protrudes slightly and forms a peak at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the third story. The building was a Works Project Administration project. On the north aside is a buff colored brick addition. An addition was added in 1963. The architect was George A Lusk of Ashland and the contractor was C A Lancaster Construction Company of Portsmouth, Ohio. A further addition was added in 1977. The architect was John D Meyers of Ashland and the contractor was Buena Vista Construction Company of Portsmouth. Ohio.

 

See:  The architect Paul Jones Arnett also designed the courthouse in Martin County. 

 

County Courthouse Annex – Greenup 

 

679k18

 

Location:  301 Main Street / Washington Street

Built:  1989 – 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Harry E Homan

Contractor:  D R Madden & Sons

 

Description:  The building faces west and s a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the northeast side of the courthouse. The west front has a one story white colored concrete porch with recessed entrance. The roof line is flat. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1803 and Greenup was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure erected in 1804. The second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1811. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1939 to 1940 at a cost of $107,631. The County Courthouse Annex was constructed in 1989 to 1990.

 

 

0703wv12

County Courthouse – Greenup

 

 

0705wv12

 

 

0704wv12

 

 

0708wv12

 

 

0709wv12

 

 

0707wv12

 

 

671k18

 

 

673k18

 

 

674k18

 

 

675k18

 

 

0710wv12

 

 

0711wv12

 

 

0712wv12

 

 

680k18

County Courthouse Annex – Greenup

 

 

0714wv12

 

 

0713wv12

 

 

681k18

 

 

0701wv12

 

 

0715wv12

Photos taken 2012 and 2018