Grayson County is named for William Grayson, who was the aide to George Washington and who lived from 1740 to 1790.
Created: January 25, 1810
Leitchfield 1810 – present
County Courthouse – Leitchfield
Location: 10 Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Architect: Thomas J Nolan
Contractor: The Jenkins-Essex Company
Description: The building faces south and is a hree story red colored brick and concrete structure, which sits in the center of the Public Square. The south front has two high columns forming a rectangular arch and flanked on each side by square stone pillars. The doorway is recessed and above the doorways is a small balcony with arched window on the second story. At the roof of the front section is a clock. The north section of the building is larger with east and west extensions.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1810 courthouse and shortly after the county was destroyed by fire during Confederate General Lyon’s march through western Kentucky in December 1864. The second courthouse did not last long and too was lost to fire in June 1896. The third courthouse was designed by M L Wilson and constructed by W H Bailey in 1898. Again fire struck Leitchfield when the third courthouse burned in April 1936. The fourth, and current courthouse, was constructed with a New Deal grant during 1937.
County Judicial Center – Leitchfield
Location: 500 Carroll Gibson Boulevard / Wallace Avenue
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: JRA Architects of Louisville
Contractor: D W Wilburn Inc. of Lexington
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The southwest front has a semi-circular porch supported by large concrete pillars and recessed entrance. Behind the porch rises a circular tower with vertical windows and rounded dome. The roof line is flat with hipped roof sections.
County Judicial Building – Leitchfield
Location: 125 East White Oak Street / Clinton Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Martin J Lide
Contractor: James N Gray Corporation
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front entrance is located on the second story with a square brick portico extending from the building and black iron stairs. The building is named as the County Judicial Complex.
County Judicial Center
County Judicial Building
Photos taken 2007 and 2018