Graves County is named for Benjamin F Graves, who was a soldier killed in the Battle of River Raisin, and who lived from 1771 to 1813.
Created: December 9, 1823
Mayfield 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Mayfield
Location: 100 East Broadway Street / South 7th Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Architect: H P McDonald & Brothers of Louisville
Contractor: M T Lewman & Company of Lepuisville
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a high red colored brick tower rising as a square to the third story and then as an octagonal section with clock to the steep tired roof. On the first story is a small portico supported by two clusters of three columns. Light colored stone forms horizontal bands between the first and second stories and above the second story. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story. The building was renovated in 1990. The architect was Chrisman, Miller, Woodford and the contractor was Crouch Construction Company. The south addition was constructed in 1939.as a Works Administration Project. The architect was S Lester Day and the contractor was George W Katterjohn, Jr.
See: The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.
See: The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first log courthouse was constructed for $139 was replaced in 1834 by a brick two-story foursquare building costing $5,400. This building was destroyed by Union troops during the Civil War leading to a third courthouse being built in 1865. It was not until 1910 that the US Government paid Graves County $1,500 as compensation for the loss of the second courthouse. The cost of construction of the p[resent and fourth courthouse was $40,000.
County Couthouse Annex – Mayfield
Location: 101 East South Street / South 7th Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: S Lester Day
Contractor: George W Katterjohn, Jr.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the courthouse in the center of the city. The south side has a central entrance with a small porch. A horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. The building is connected to the courthouse on the north side. The building was renovated in 1990. The architect was Chrisman, Miller, Woodford and the contractor was Crouch Construction Company.
N – McCracken County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2018