Fulton County is named for Robert Fulton, who was the inventor of the first successful steamboat, and who lived from 1765 to 1815.
Created: January 15, 1845
Hickman 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Hickman
Location: 114 East Wellington Street / East Moulton Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington DC
Contractor: W H Spaldlin of Fulton County
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a center section with brick supported portico on the first story, and four arched windows on the second story. The third story has three small windows and a Dutch style peak. On the northeast is an octagonal brick tower with clock and steep roof at the top. On the southeast is a smaller octagonal brick tower with steep roof. There is a courtroom in the center of the second story and the Circuit Court courtroom is located at the center of the third story. The building was restored from 1900 to 1991. The architect was Chrisman-Miller-Woodford, Inc. of Lexington and the contractor was Lashlee-Rich, Inc. of Humbolt, Tennessee.
Note: The cost of construction of the present and second courthouse was $20,250 plus $540 for red colored mortar.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
E – Hickman County
W – New Madrid, Missouri
Photos taken 2007 and 2018