Floyd County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Floyd County
1065K07

Floyd County is named for John Floyd, who was a surveyor and pioneer, and who lived from 1783 to 1837.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Johnson County and Martin County

E – Pike County

S – Pike County

W – Knott County and Magoffin County

 

Created:  December 13, 1799                Map of Kentucky highlighting Floyd County

County Seat: 

Preston’s Station 1800 – 1829

Prestonsburg       1829 – present

 

County Courthouse – Prestonsburg 

 

Location:  149 South Central Avenue / Court Street

Built:  1963 – 1964

Style:  Modern

Architect:  George Lee Shannon

Contractor:  Ervin & Allen Akers Construction

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Prestonsburg. The west front has a square high portico divided into three sections by vertical concrete dividers. The building is covered by a steep green colored metal roof.

 

County Justice Center – Prestonsburg 

 

1064k07

 

Location:  127   South Lake Drive / Court Street

Built:  1996 – 1998

Style:  Modern

Architect:  CMW Inc.

Contractor:  D W Wilburn Inc. of Lexington

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red-pink colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Prestonsburg on the west side of the courthouse. The building was modeled after the 1888 courthouse. The building is rectangular in shape with a black colored cornice along the flat roof line. The northwest corner has a large square tower with large arched glass entrance and hipped roof. The windows are arched. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1799 and Preston’s Station was selected as the county seat in 1800. The first courthouse was a log structure erected in 1800. The building was destroyed by fire on April 8, 1808. The court met in the homes of William James Mayo and Joseph Janes until the second courthouse was built in 1809. The county seat name was changed to Prestonsburg in 1829. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Palliser, Palliser & Company in 1888. The building was razed in 1963 when the fifth courthouse was constructed in 1963 to 1964 which building is still standing. The sixth and present courthouse, County Justice Center,  was constructed in 1996 to 1998.

 

 

761k18

County Courthouse - Prestonsburg  

 

 

0745c14

 

 

0746c14

 

 

0747c14

 

 

0748c14

 

 

764k18

 

 

0749c14

 

 

0735c14

County Justice Center - Prestonsburg  

 

 

1061k07

 

 

1062k07

 

 

1063k07

 

 

0736c14

 

 

758k18

 

 

0743c14

 

 

758k18_0

 

 

0744c14

 

 

1066k07

Photos taken 2007, 2014 and 2018