Daviess County is named for Joseph Hamilton Daviess, who was a lawyer killed at the Battle of Tippecanoe and who lived from 1774 to 1811.
Created: January 14, 1815
Owensboro 1815 – present
County Courthouse – Owensboro
Location: 212 Saint Ann Street / West 2nd Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Max W Bisson & Associates of Owensboro
Contractor: Clark Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is constructed with Indiana limestone in an “H” shape. At each side of the building is a wall of limestone with narrow vertical openings which form the entrance porticoes. The windows in the building are long and narrow. The roof line is flat. The former courtroom is located on the east side of the second story.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Bennett Trimble and B W McLoyd and constructed in 1868. The building was remodeled by McDonald Brothers in 1887. The building was further remodeled in 1927. The building was then demolished to make way for the present courthouse.
County Judicial Center – Owensboro
Location: 100 East 2nd Street / Allen Street
Built: 1989 – 1991
Architect: Collighnon & Nunley Architects
Contractor: R & W Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story stone, concrete and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is located east of the courthouse and is faced with polished light pink colored stone. The roof line is flat. The building is named as The Morton J Holbrook Jr. Judicial Center. In 2003, a one story wing was constructed on the east side. The architect was Architectural Plus, Inc. and the contractor was B & S Contracting Inc.
E – Hancock County
W – Henderson County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018