Clay County is named for Green Clay, who was a military general and a surveyor.
Created: December 2, 1806
Manchester 1807 – present
County Courthouse – Manchester
Location: 316 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 2005 – 2006
Architect: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Contractor: W Brandstetter-Carroll Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting center section with glass panel entrance rising to the second story. The third story has columns with glass panels behind and hipped roof. The north and south sides have columns with recessed wall rising to the top of the second story. The windows on the third story are square The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Manchester
Location: 102 Richmond Road / Stinson Hill Road
Built: 2003 – 2004
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a central entrance with pediment and clock at the roof line. On the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola. The roof is hipped.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank P Milburn and built by Thomas T Milburn in 1889. The building was destroyed by fire in 1936 The next courthouse was designed by Jim Wolson of Manchester in 1938 to 1939. The cost of construction of the was $95,587. The building was raised in 2005 when the present courthouse was constructed.
W – Laurel County
Photos taken 2014