Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was the last living signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1737 to 1832.
Created: February 9, 1838
Carrollton 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Carrollton
Location: 123 Church Street / Main Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville
Contractor: W W McCoy
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square and constructed in three tiers with the entrance extending south with portico supported by two narrow columns and above it, a large three pane window. On the center of the roof is a high square wood cupola with steep green colored roof and clock. The former courtroom is located on the second story. In 1975 and 1976, two wings were added by architects James A Ross and Howard and Thomas McClory and the contractor was Tucker & Gray Construction Company Inc. On the ground is the old stone jail.
See: The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.
County Hall of Justice – Carrollton
Location: 802 Clay Street / 8th Street
Built: 1991 – 1992
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington ( Chrisman Miller Woodford Inc. )
Contractor: Morel Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds, The east front has a central entrance with two columns and recessed entrance, and rising to a large concrete dome. A wide horizontal eave runs along the flat roof line. The building has few windows.
E – Gallatin County
W – Trimble County
Old County Jail
County Hall of Justice
Photos taken 2007 and 2018