Carlisle County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Carlisle County
Carlisle

Carlisle County is named for John G Carlisle, who was a United States legislator from 1877 to 1889.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Ballard County

E – Graves County

S – Hickman County

W – Mississippi County, Missouri

 

Created:  April 3, 1886                           Map of Kentucky highlighting Carlisle County

County Seat: 

Bardwell  1886 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bardwell 

 

Location:  985 Unites States Highway 62 / Adams Street

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern / Greek Revival

Architect:  Murphy + Graves Architects of Lexington

Contractor:  Codell Construction Company of Winchester

 

Description:  The building faces north and  is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the eastern edge of Bardwell. The north front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the east and west are one story wings. The roof is hipped. The District Court courtroom is located in the center of the first story and the Circuit Court courtroom is located in the center of the second story. The construction manager was  Ross, Sinclaire & Associates LLC.

 

Former County Courthouse – Bardwell 

 

1440k07

 

Location:  70 West Court Street / Cheatham Street

Built:  1980 – 1982

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Castleberry and McGregor

Contractor:  W B Wilkerson Construction

 

Description:  The building faced west and was a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building was located on the side of a low hill on the south side of the center of Bardwell. The west front had an enclosed brick portico with three arches along the front and one on each side. The design along the building repeats the arch style with stone at the top and brick along the two-thirds bottom. On the roof center was a large flat cupola with small arched windows. The building was destroyed by fire December 26, 2007.

 

History:  Bardwell was named as the county seat in 1886. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1886 to 1887. The courthouse was remodeled in 1913 by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville and was destroyed by fire in 1980. The second courthouse was constructed in 1982 to 1983. And was destroyed by fire in 2007. The Masonic Lodge on Masonic Driver served as the temporary courthouse and the courtroom was housed in a trailer. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 2009 to 2011.

 

 

327t18

County Courthouse – Bardwell

 

 

0179t12

 

 

0177t12

 

 

631t18

 

 

632t18

 

 

633t18

 

 

634t18

 

 

635t18

 

 

636t18

 

 

637t18

 

 

638t18

 

 

639t18

 

 

640t18

 

 

642t18

 

 

641t18

 

 

643t18

 

 

644t18_0

 

 

0180t12

 

 

645t18

 

 

1439k07

Former County Courthouse – Bardwell

 

 

1441k07

 

 

646t18

Courthouse ruins

Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2018