Breckinridge County is named for John Breckinridge, who was a Kentucky statesman and who lived from 1760 to 1806.
Created: December 9, 1799
Hardinsburg 1799 – present
County Courthouse – Hardinsburg
Location: 208 South Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: Walter Scott Roberts of Roberts & Johnson of Owensboro
Contractor: Ramsey Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front of the building has a light colored stone rectangular frame around the glass entrance with high windows on the second story, divided from the first story by a wide black panel. The roof line is flat. The former courtroom is on the second story.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1865 and burned in 1958.
County Judicial Center – Hardinsburg
Location: 111 West 2nd Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: Brandstetter Carroll Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the courthouse. The east front has a projecting center section with large arched window with entrances on either side and vertical columns on the first story and arched window on the second story with wide pediment above. A horizontal concrete band runs along the top of the first story and vertical pilasrers and columns are on the second story. On the center of the roof is a high white colored cupola. The interior has a high circular atrium under the cupolas. The courtroom is located on the second story.
S – Grayson County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018