Boone County is named for Daniel Boone an American pioneer who has founded Boonesborough in Kentucky.
Created: December 13, 1798
Craig’s Camp 1789 – 1800
Wilmington 1800 – 1816
Burlington 1816 – present
County Courthouse – Burlington
Location: NE – Washington Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville
Contractor: McGarvey and Brothers of Cincinnati
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a small porch with four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. The center section projects from the main building and rises to a peaked roof at the third story. The roof is sloped with a white colored open cupola at the center. The cupola was designed by Samuel Hannaford of Cincinnati. The old courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1959. The architect was Beltz, Bankemper & Associates. On the east side of the building is a modern two story red colored brick structure. On the north side of the building is the old white colored brick Sheriff’s Residence.
See: The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.
See: The building plans for the courthouse are the same as those used to construct the courthouse in Bandera County, Texas.
County Justice Center – Burlington
Location: 6025 Rogers Lane / Washington Street
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Cordell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a porch at the central entrance with a projecting two story section behind. Above is a large fanlight window on the third story of the main building. There is a low south wing. There are horizontal bands and stone trim along the corners. The roof line is flat
County Administration – Burlington
Location: 2950 Washington Street / Garrard Street
Built: 1979 – 1981
Architect: Carl C Bankemper & Associates
Contractor: Stephen Gross & Sons Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the eastr side of the courthouse. The south front has a small porch at the central entrance with balcony above and large fanlight window on the second and third stories. The corners of the building have stone trim. Along the sloped roof are dormers.
E – Kenton County
Courteoom in 2012
Old Sheriff Residence
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018