Allen County is named for John Allen, who was a soldier in the War of 1812, and who lived from 1771 to 1813.
Created: January 11, 1815
Scottsville 1815 – present
Old County Courthouse – Scottsville
Location: 201 West Main Street / Cemetery Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Morton-Carter Associates
Contractor: W E Cook
Description: The building faces south and is a two story sand colored brick, steel and glass structure. The south front has red panels above the doorway and red panels between the vertical windows. Along the east side, the building extends out from the main building. The roof line is flat. The building also houses the Scottsville City Hall.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Robert Manley in 1903.
County Courthouse – Scottsville
Location: SW – West Main Street / Cemetery Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: Sherman Carter Barnhart of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico with six columns. The east and west corner sections project from the main building. The roof is pitched and on the center is a cupola with clock and dome at the top.
W – Simpson County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014