Stafford County is named for Lewis Stafford, who was a Captain in the First Kansas Infantry and who was killed at Young’s Point, Louisiana on July 31, 1863.
Created: February 26, 1867
Saint John 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Saint John
Location: 209 North Broadway Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Art Deco
Architect: A R Mann & Company of Hutchinson
Contractor: W G Colglazsier, C A Jordan, R H Benford, E S Nightwine and J H Tudor
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the cennter of the city. The front section has three rectangular sections with the doorway in the center section. The top header has three small windows. Wings extend to the east and the south. The roof line is flat. The building was constructed as a Works Project Administration project. On the east side is the one story Courthouse Annex.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1887. On December 16, 1927, W G Colglazsier, C A Jordan, R H Benford, E S Nightwine and J H Tudor signed a contract to demolish the old courthouse, temporarily house the county offices in the Delker Building and construct the new courthouse.
N – Barton County
S – Pratt County
Photos taken 2010 and 2016