Saline County is named for the Saline River which is named for the salt in the water.
Created: February 15, 1860
Salina 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Salina
Location: 300 West Ash Street / North 9th Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Shaver and Company of Salina and Wilson & Company of Salina
Contractor: Johnson Builders Inc. of Salina
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. Along the south front are three sections with a wide recessed dividers between the sections. The first story is recessed with dark glass walls. The second story has long vertical windows. A wide band runs along the flat roof line. The building descends down a slope on the north side.
Old County Courthouse – Salina
Location: 245 North 9th Street / Elm Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Wilmarth and Zerbe
Contractor: J B Betts and J O Hartley
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray stone structure. The east front has a high portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building servers as a seniors residence.
N – Ottawa County
E – Dickinson County
S – McPherson County
Photos taken 2010