Rush County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Rush County
Rusk

Rush County is named for Alexander Rush, Captain of company H, second coloured infantry, who was killed April 3, 1864 at Jenkins Ferry, Arkansas.

 

Created:  February 26, 1867

County Seat:

La Crosse  1867 – present

 

County Courthouse – La Crosse  

 

Location:  715 Elm Street / West 12th Street

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:   L L Levering

Contractor:  William T Heaps

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southeast tower is round with a conical roof topped by an onion-shaped finial.  The northeast tower is square and when built had a steeply pitched hip roof.  Arched openings pierce the upper part of the square tower. The main entrance, reached by a set of wide masonry steps, is set within a stone arch that is repeated twice above in the projecting entrance bay.  The building has a rough-hewn native limestone base.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the courthouse was $17,950. The project was hindered by considerable bickering between the contractor, the commissioners, and George Shaffer, who was the superintendent of construction.  Allegedly the plans were poorly drawn and the commissioners insisted on making numerous changes.  Despite the delays, the building was finished by the spring of 1889.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Rush County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Ellis County

E – Barton County

S – Pawnee County

W – Ness County

 

 

 

2051cs10

 

 

2052cs10

 

 

2053cs10

 

 

2054cs10

 

 

2055cs10

 

 

2056cs10

Photos taken 2007 and 2010