Republic County is named for the Republic River, which was named because the valley of the stream was the seat of the Pawnee Republic.
Created: February 27, 1860
Belleville 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Belleville
Location: 1815 M Street / 18th Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Mann & Company of Hutchinson
Contractor: Peterson Construction Company of Salina
Description: The building faces west and is a three to four story white colored concrete, glass and concrete structure. The rectangular building has seven bays on the east and west facades and six bays on the north and south facades. The pored-in-place building has polished black granite detailing. The west front has a projecting center section with rectangular arch with recessed entrance and windows with metal grille work. The windows are vertical. The roof line is flat. The building is located on landscaped grounds.
Note: During construction, L S Nelson served as architectural superintendent. The cost of construction was $250,532 of which the Public Works Administration grant covered $112,936 of the total cost..
See: National Register of Historic Places – Republic County Courthouse
S – Cloud County
W – Jewell County
Photos taken 2009 and 2010