Morris County is named for Thomas Morris, who was a former United States Senator from Ohio who was an opponent of slavery.
Created: February 11, 1859
Council Grove 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Council Grove
Location: 501 West Main Street / South Rockhill Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Kiene & Bradley Partnership of Topeka
Contractor: Bradley Building Company of Kansas Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The west front is one story above ground with a large concrete overhang at the main entrance. On the east side the hill falls away to two stories with a projecting concrete overhangs from the flat roof line. The windows are narrow and vertical.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1891 and an addition was constructed in 1902. The building was demolished.
N – Geary County
Photos taken 2009