Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a United States general killed in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 26, 1867
Independence 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Independence
Location: 217 East Myrtle Street / North 6th Street
Built: 1886 – 1887
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Edward Oscar Fallis & Company of Toledo
Contractor: J H Brewster of Drum Creek
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray Bedford stone structure. The south front has a large porch supported by four large columns rising to the top of the third story. The recessed entrance is framed with stone. A cornice projects below the roof line with a wide portion above. The windows are vertical. An addition was added in 1931. The architect was Cuthbert & Suehrk of Topeka and the contractor was Frank Brewster.
County Judicial Center – Independence
Location: 300 East Main Street / North 4th Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Edwards and Daniels Associates and Hight / Jackson Associates PA
Contractor: Crossland Construction Company Inc. of Columbus, Kansas.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The south front has a recessed entrance with glass panels above. Portions of the building extend from the main building. The windows are wide and horizontal. The base of the building is white concrete with buff-brown brick above.
N – Wilson County
E – Labette County
Photos taken 2009