McPherson County is named for James Birdseye McPherson, who was a Major General during the American Civil War.
Created: February 26, 1867
McPherson 1867 – present
County Courthouse – McPherson
Location: 117 North Maple Street / West Kansas Avenue
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: John G Haskell and J F Stanton of Topeka
Contractor: James Jack of Hutchinson
Description: The building faces east and is a three story cream colored Kansas limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The east front has a high square tower rising six stories with clock and steep roof at the top. The central tower is flanked on either side by smaller octagonal towers. At the bottom of the tower is a Syrian arched entrance. Small wings project on the north and south sides. The building was renovated in 1980. The architect was E Tom Pyle Jr. & Associates and the contractor was Bob Albers Construction.
Note: The limestone was quarried near Strong City in Chase County. James Jack received the construction contract for $32,594. Frank Dillon was awarded the excavation and stone hauling contract and A G Linn of Freemount was appointed to supervise all stone and brick work..
See: National Register of Historic Places – McPherson County Courthouse
N – Saline County
E – Marion County
Photos taken 2010 and 2016