Marshall County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Marshall County
Marshall -O

Marshall County is named for Frank J Marshall, who was a member of the first territorial legislature and who operated a ferry on the Big Blue River at Oregon Trail crossing.

 

Created:  August 25, 1855

County Seat: 

Marysville  1855 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Marysville 

 

Location:  1209 Broadway Street / South 13th Street

Built:  1891 – 1892

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  H C Koch and Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Contractor:  Groves & Hackett of St. Joseph, Missouri

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red brick faced and red colored sandstone structure. On the first store at the central north entrance are polished red colored granite columns. Above the entrance rises an eight sided tower with round north side and topped by a steep roof. The corners of the building have peaked parapets and on the sides are third story parapets with rounded windows. The base is white colored native stone. The roof is hipped. During construction, William Daugherty of Marysville was the superintendent. I B Davis did the excavation work during April of 1891. The building now houses a museum.

 

Note:  The courthouse constructed in 1873, was destroyed by fire on December 30, 1890. On June 3, 1891, the contract was awarded for $43,028.

 

See:  The architect, H C Koch and Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, designed courthouses in Iowa in Jefferson County, Mahaska County, Montgomery County and Webster County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Marshall County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Marysville 

 

2353t10

 

Location:  1201 Broadway Street / South 12th Street

Built:  1978 – 1979

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wilbur F Kruse

Contractor:  McBride Dehmer Construction of Witchita

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story buff brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on the west side of the old courthouse. The entrance is along the north end of the east side. A wide green header runs at the flat roof line. The windows are divided by vertical brick sections.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Gage County, Nebraska and Pawnee County, Nebraska

E – Nemaha County

S – Pottawatomie County and Riley County 

W – Washington County

 

 

 

0135t09

 

 

0133t09

 

 

0136t09

 

 

2346t10

 

 

2347t10

 

 

2349t10

 

 

2350t10

 

 

0137t09

 

 

2355t10

 

 

2354t10

 

 

2352t10

 

 

2356t10

Photos taken 2009 and 2010