Lyon County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Lyon County
1008CS10

Lyon County is named for Nathaniel Lyon, who was a general during the American Civil War and who was killed at the Battle of Wilson’s Creek.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wabaunsee County

E – Osage County and Coffey County

S – Greenwood County  

W – Chase County and Morris County

 

Created:  February 3, 1862                    Map of Kansas highlighting Lyon County

County Seat:

Columbia  1855 – 1857 ( Madison County )

Waterloo   1857 – 1858

Americus   1858 – 1860

Emporia     1860 – 1862 ( Breckenridge County )

Emporia     1862 – present

 

County Courthouse – Emporia  

 

Location:  430 Commercial Street /  East 5th Avenue

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Treanor Architects

Contractor:  J E Dunn Construction of Kansas City, Missouri

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The northeast and northwest corners have a rounded glass section with entrance on the first story. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse is located on the south side of the building.

 

Old County Courthouse – Emporia  

 

1016cs10

 

Location:  430 Commercial Street /  East 4th Avenue

Built:  1952 – 1953

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Brinkman & Hagan

Contractor:  Frank Blazer Building Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The west front has vertical concrete dividers with recessed vertical windows. The front is faced with stone and the entrance on the south side of the front has a concrete canopy. . Along the south side there are horizontal windows with buff colored brick between. The third story extends only part way. The roof line is flat. The building is not connected to the new courthouse along the north side and now houses county offices.

 

History:  The county was originally known as Breckenridge County and was attached to Madison County with Columbia as the county seat. The county seat was changed in Waterloo in 1857, to Americus in 1858 and to Emporia in 1860. Name changed to Lyon County in 1862. The first courthouse was a stone structure designed by John Hammond and built by Dr. Thomas Armor and Perry B Mazson in 1866 at a cost of $19,795. Peter B Hughes and Richard Howl did the stonework. George Plumb burned the lime that was used for the mortar in the construction of the building at northwest corner Third Avenue and Commercial Street. The second courthouse was designed by Frederick C Gunn and constructed by D L Thomas in 1901 at northeast corner Fourth Avenue and Commercial Street. The third courthouse was constructed in 1952 to 1953 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2000 to 2001.

 

 

1009cs10

County Courthouse – Emporia

 

 

1010cs10

 

 

1011cs10

 

 

1013cs10

 

 

1014cs10

 

 

0310nm16

 

 

0312nm16

 

 

0313nm16

 

 

0314nm16

 

 

0315nm16

 

 

0316nm16

 

 

0317nm16

 

 

0318nm16

 

 

0319nm16

 

 

0302nm16

Old County Courthouse – Emporia

 

 

1015cs10

 

 

1017cs10

 

 

1018cs10

 

 

0301nm16

 

 

0304nm16

 

 

0320nm16

Commissioner Minutes 1953 County Courthouse

 

 

0323nm16

Photos taken 2010 and 2016