Logan County is named for John Alexander Logan ( 1826-1886 ), who was a Union general during the Civil War and later a United States Senator from Illinois.
Created: February 24, 1887
Russell Springs 1880 – 1963
Oakley 1963 – present
Old County Courthouse – Russell Springs
Location: SW – Hilts Avenue / Vine Street
Built: 1887 – 1888
Architect: Alfred Meyer
Contractor: George D Kerns
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is a “T” shape with a stone wing on the west side. The east front has a slightly projecting center section with glass entrance on the first story and three vertical windows on the second story and above is a steep roof with dormer. The base of the building is rough-cut stone and the first story. The upper story is red colored brick. The roof is hipped. The building is now a museum.
County Courthouse – Oakley
Location: 710 West 2nd Street / Cherry Avenue
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Kiene & Bradley of Topeka
Contractor: Busboon & Rauh
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a two story north wing. The main entrance is on the east side has a concrete extension over the entrance. A wide band runs below the flat roof line on the central and southern part of the building.
E – Gove County
W – Wallace County
Photos taken 2007