Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).
Created: February 26, 1867
Lincoln 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Lincoln
Location: 216 East Lincoln Avenue / North 2nd Street
Built: 1899 – 1901
Style: Second Empire and Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Charles W Squires
Contractor: W P Baker of Lincoln
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored post rock structure. The south front has a central entrance with arched stone and large arched window on the second story. Above on the third story is a three windows dormer rising to a peaked roof. The east and west corners project from the main building and have large arched windows on the second story and a pediment at the roof line. In the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock and steep roof. The building sits on spacious landscaped grounds with the old red colored brick Sheriff’s Residence.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Myron D Green in 1873. The building was completely destroyed by fire on the night of December 7, 1898. Stone for the present courthouse was excavation under the direction of B P Wicker. A E McMichael was the stonemason. The interior finish materials-door and window frames, stairs for the courthouse was completed by O W Urich, of Atchison, Kansas and the ironwork was done William Bergh of Newton. The total cost of construction was less than $20,000.
N – Mitchell County
S – Ellsworth County
Photos taken 2010