Leavenworth County is named for Henry H Leavenworth, who was a general in the United States Army and after who Fort Leavenworth was named.
Created: August 25, 1855
Kickapoo 1855 – 1856
Leavenworth 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Leavenworth
Location: 300 Walnut Street / South 3rd Street
Built: 1911 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William P Feth of Topeka
Contractor: J B Betts Jr. of Topeka
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray limestone structure. The building is rectangular in shape and the walls are limestone masonry units laid in running bond with the rusticated limestone foundation and limestone quoins. The south front has a large portico supported by six columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance has rounded stone trim. A horizontal projecting cornice runs below the roof line. There is an interior rotunda with skylight. The building was remodeled in 1951.
Note: The courthouse designed by Carr & Schultz constructed by Andersopn & Liddle in in 1873, was destroyed by a fire on March 22, 1911 due to faulty wiring. The fire gutted the building, leaving behind only the exterior brick walls.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Leavenworth County Courthouse
County Judicial Center – Leavenworth
Location: 601 South 3rd Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Shaughnessy Fickel & Scott Architects Inc.
Contractor: J E Dunn Construction Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The west front has a central entrance with projecting concrete porch and glass panels behind. On the third story, the windows extend horizontally. The other windows are small and square. The roof line is flat.
Photos taken 2009