Lane County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Lane County
Lane

Lane County is named for James Henry Lane ( 1814-1866 ), a leader of the Free State forces in territorial Kansas and one of the first United States senators from Kansas.

 

Created:  March 20, 1873

County Seat:

Dighton  1886 – present

 

County Courthouse – Dighton  

 

Location:  144 South Lane Street / Pearl Street

Built:  1930 – 1931

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Mann & Company of Hutchinson

Contractor:  H W Underhill

 

Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has projecting wings on the southwest and northwest. The main entrances on the west, is framed to the roof line in white colored stone and has three long windows above the entrance.

 

See:  The architect,  Mann & Company of Hutchinson, designed courthouses in Ellis County, Ellsworth County, Graham County, Pratt CountyRepublic County, Scott County, Stafford County and Stevens County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Gove County 

E – Ness County

S – Finney County

W – Scott County

 

 

 

0358nm07

 

 

x_5

 

 

0360nm07

 

 

0359nm07

Photos taken 2007