Jewell County is named for Lewis R Jewell, who was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Sixth Kansas Cavalry during the American Civil War and who died November 30, 1862 at the Battle of Cane Hill.
Created: February 26, 1867
Mankato 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Mankato
Location: 307 North Commercial Street / West Monroe Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Joseph W Radotinsky
Contractor: John V Metz and Works Progress Administration
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored limestone and concrete structure. The exterior is rough-cut limestone laid in running bond with dressed limestone detailing. The east entrance projects from the main building and has three entrances framed with white colored concrete. The center section rises higher than the north and south wings. The roof line is flat. The building was a Works Progress Administration project and O J Metz was the project superintendent. In 1982 a one story jail addition was constructed on the north side.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by H M Hadley and Prank Cooper and constructed in 1888. The building was demolished. The construction of the present courthouse cost the county $35,000 and the rest of the cost was paid by the federal government. The total cost of construction was $159,891.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jewell County Courthouse
W – Smith County
Photos taken 2010