Hodgeman County is named for Amos Hodgeman, who was a soldier in the American Civil War and who died near Oxford, Mississippi.
Created: February 26, 1867
Jetmore 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Jetmore
Location: 500 Main Street / East Bramley Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Architect: Routledge & Hertz
Contractor: William B Seller of St. Francis.
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick and stone structure. The rectangular building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and has a stone base with three arches at the west entrance. Above there are three vertical windows with a wide cornice above the third story. The second story windows all have granite lintels and the third story windows have all have granite sills. Vertical pilasters divide the windows in the center section. A wide cornice runs below the fourth story. The fourth story has small windows and a green terra cotta tile roof. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by George H Evans in 1886. The construction contract for the present courthouse with William B Seller of St. Francis was $83,900. The heating and plumbing contract with D G Zimmerman & Sons of Hays was $9,968. The electrical contract with Frank C Sutton of Lincoln, Nebraska was $3,000. W D Sinclair removed the old courthouse for $500.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Hodgeman County Courthouse
N – Ness County
S – Ford County
Photos taken 2006 and 2016