Harvey County is named for James M Harvey, who was a Governor of the State of Kansas and a United States Senator.
Created: March 7, 1872
Newton 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Newton
Location: 800 North Main Street / East 8th Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Miller Hiett Dronberger & Arbuckle of Hutchinson
Contractor: Law- Pollitt Construction Company, Inc. of Wichita
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has vertical concrete dividers with red colored brick on the south two sections and glass on the north three sections. The roof line is flat. The building is located on spacious grounds with the old courthouse cornerstone in front of the building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Holland & Squires and constructed by Crosby & Son in 1906.
S – Sedgwick County
W – Reno County
Photos taken 2010