Cowley County is named for Matthew Cowley, who was an American missionary and a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in The Church of Jesus of Latter-day Saints.
Created: February 26, 1867
Winfield 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Winfield
Location: 311 East 9th Avenue / Fuller Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: Caton, Yadon & Potter of Winfield and Stitzel & Thoma of Arkansas City
Contractor: Law-Pollitt Construction Company of Wichita
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large stone section in the center with a map of the county. On the east side of the stone section is the glass entrance. Brown colored panels run below the first and second story horizontal windows. The roof line is flat. On the north side and across the street is the one story County Courthouse Annex which faces south.
Note: The 1873 courthouses was constructed by Steart & Simpson with an addition constructed in 1885. The architect was Terry & Dumont and the contractor was Abe Smith. In 1901, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi, designed the courthouse which was constructed by Manhattan Construction Company.
N – Butler County
W – Sumner County
Photos taken 2010