Chase County is named for Salmon Portland Chase, who was a United States Senator from Ohio and a Kansas statehood advocate.
Created: February 11, 1859
Cottonwood Falls 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Cottonwood Falls
Location: Pearl Street / Broadway
Built: 1871 – 1873
Style: Louis XIII Renaissance and Second Empire
Architect: John G Haskell of Lawrence
Contractor: James Bannon of Leavenworth
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored native limestone structure. The north front has a recessed center section with narrow arched entrance on the first story and three narrow vertical windows on the second story. The east and west sections have double arched windows with projected pediments above. A wide eave runs below the red colored mansard roof on the third story which has dormer windows. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock and red colored roof and small platform at the top. There is an ornamental iron fence along the roof line. The foundation is rough hewn limestone. The old jail is on the second story of the rear section of the building.
Note: The courthouse bell was hung in 1886. The cost of construction was $42,600.
See: The courthouse is oldest courthouse in Kansas which is still in use as a courthouse. The second oldest courthouse is located in Pottawatomie County (1884), the third oldest courthouse is located in Gove County (1885) and the fourth oldest courthouse is located in Linn County (1886)
See: National Register of Historic Places – Chase County Courthouse
N – Morris County
W – Marion County
Photos taken 2010 and 2016