Barton County is named for Clara Barton, who was responsible for the founding of the Red Cross.
Created: February 26, 1867
Great Bend 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Great Bend
Location: 1400 Main Street / Forest Avenue
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Modern Classical Eclecticism
Architect: William Earl Hulse & Company of Hutchison
Contractor: Manhattan Construction Company of Muskogee, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces west and is a four story white colored brick structure. There are Ionic columns rising from the second story to the third story, large arched windows on the third story and small windows on the fourth story. The entrance is framed with black colored stone.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John G Haskell and constructed by John McDonald in 1873.
N – Russell County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010