Worth County is named for William Jenkins Worth, who was an officer in the Black Hawk War and in the Mexican-American War.
Created: January 15, 1851
Northwood 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Northwood
Location: 1000 Central Avenue / 10th Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Architect: H R P Hamilton
Contractor: S Road
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south entrance has a large arch trimmed with stone on the first story. On the east side of the entrance is a square brick tower rising to the third story. There is stone trim above the windows. The base of the building is course white stone. The building was enlarged and remodeled in 1938.
Old County Courthouse – Northwood
Location: 917 Central Avenue / Orchid Avenue ( 10th Street )
Built: 1879 – 1880
Architect: Simon Larson
Contractor: Simon Larson
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The windows are arched. The foundation of the building is white colored course stone. The building served as the courthouse until 1892. Since 1973, the building houses the Worth County Historical Museum.
Note: The cost of construction was $4,400.
E – Mitchell County
W – Winnebego County
Photos taken 2008