Warren County is named for Joseph Warren, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Polk County
E – Marion County
W – Madison County
Created: January 13, 1846
Indianola 1846 – present
Former County Courthouse – Indianola
Location: 115 North Howard Street / Salem Avenue
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Keffer and Jones of Des Moines
Contractor: F B Dickinson & Company of Des Moines, Hoofnagle & Miller and Capital Electric Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section is recessed with a wide framed entrance. Buff colored brick trims the north and south ends and along the sides of the building. The building has a flat roof. The building houses the County District Court of the 5A Judicial District. An addition was constructed in 1988 and 1989. The architect was Frevert Ramsey Kobes and the contractor was Ringland Johnson Crowley.
History: The county was created in 1846 and Indianola was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1851. The second courthouse was a Victorian structure designed by C A Dunham and constructed by Jacob Reichard in 1868. The third courthouse was constructed in 1938 at a cost of $145,000. The fourth and present courthouse is under construction at a cost of $30,000,000.
Former County Courthouse - Indianola
Photos taken 2008