Wapello County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Wapello County
Wapello

Wapello County is named for Chief Wapello, who was a chief of the Fox Native American tribe.

 

Created:  February 17, 1843

County Seat:

Ottumwa  1843 – present

 

County Courthouse – Ottumwa

 

Location:  101 West 4th Street / North Court Street

Built:  1892 – 1894

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Foster & Liebbe

Contractor:   G Stanfford

 

Description: The building faces southwest and is a four story buff rough-cut sandstone structure. The south front has a projecting center section with large arch at the first story entrance which rises to the second story. Above are two small windows and a large window rising to a peak with the statue of Chief Wapello at the top. On the southeast corner is a large square tower which was formerly a clock tower. On the southwest corner is a small turret at the roof line.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1846 at a cost of $1,000. In 1872, the second courthouse was built. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $135,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Mahaska County and Keokuk County 

E – Jefferson County

S – Davis County

W – Monroe County

 

 

 

1082i08

 

 

1085i08

 

 

1084i08

 

 

1087i08

 

 

1088i08

Photos taken 2008