Sac County is named for the Sac Native American tribe.
Created: January 15, 1851
Sac City 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Sac City
Location: 100 NW State Street / Main Street
Built: 1889 – 1890
Architect: J M Russell
Contractor: Asa Platt, D E Hallett, D Carr Early, Justin A Miller, A D Peck, Myme Childs, J E Robbins, James M Fox and W C Shull
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a stone arch with windows on the first story which used to be the main entrance. The base of the building is course stone and stone trim runs in horizontal bands and around the windows. The center section projects from the main building and rises to a third story peak. The building was renovated in 1900. An addition was added on the east side to house the courtroom in 1977. The architect was Keninger, Galvin & Associates and the contractor was McCorkle Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1860. The second courthouse was built in 1873 at a cost of $30,000 and was burned down in 1888.
E – Calhoun County
W – Ida County
Photos taken 2008 and 2012