Polk County is named for James Knox Polk, who was the eleventh President of the United States of America.
Created: January 13, 1846
Des Moines 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Des Moines
Location: 500 Southwest 7th Street / Court Street
Built: 1902 – 1906
Architect: Proudfoot & Bird of Des Moines
Contractor: Columbian Fireproofing Company
Description: The building faces east and is a four story gray colored stone structure. The center section forms a projecting portico with three arches on the first story and eight columns rising from the third story to the top of the fourth story. There is a large square tower on each corner. On the center of the building is a high square clock tower with cupola on the top. The interior has marble columns, large rotunda and murals by Charles A. Cummings and Edward Simmons. Cleveland Ohio Stone Company had the contract to supply the Grey Canyon Sandstone.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1847 at a cost of $2,015. The second courthouse was designed by Dyer H Young and built by Isaac Cooper in 1858 at a cost of $103,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $750,000.
County Administration – Des Moines
Location: 111 Court Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1906 – 1908
Architect: James Knox Taylor
Description: The building is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building served as the United States Post Office until it was remodeled in 1974 as the County Administration when a modern section was added on the south side.
See: Located in the county is the Iowa Supreme Court
E – Jasper County
S – Warren County
W – Dallas County
Photos taken 2008