Palo Alto County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Palo Alto County
Palo Alto

Palo Alto County is named for the first battlefield in the Mexican-American War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Emmet County

E – Kossuth County

S – Pocahontas County

W – Clay County

 

Created:  January 18, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Palo Alto County

County Seat:

Paoli              1858 – 1875

Emmetsburg  1875 – present

 

County Courthouse – Emmetsburg

 

Location:  1010 Broadway Street / 12th Street

Built:  1880 – 1881

Style:  Victorian

Architect:  B J Bartlet

Contractor:  D E Burdick

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Emmetsburg. The building has a high square tower on the west front with extending roof rising three stories above the entrance on the first story. The base of the building is darker red colored brick. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 3A Judicial District. The building was extensively remodeled in 1960 and 1969 when the cupola was removed. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1977.

 

See:  The 3A Judicial District includes Buena Vista CountyCherokee CountyClay CountyDickinson County, Emmet CountyKossuth County, Lyon CountyO’Brien County and Osceola County

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and was attached to Boone County and Webster County. Paoli was selected as the county seat in 1858 and the first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1858 to 1859 at Paoli on the east bank of the Des Moines River. The building soon collapsed and was rebuilt but county offices continued in a building at Soda Bar. The county seat was moved to Emmetsburg in 1875. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1880 to 1881.

 

 

0152i08

County Courthouse – Emmetsburg

 

 

0189nc10

 

 

0191nc10

 

 

0190nc10

 

 

0193nc10

 

 

0192nc10

 

 

0195nc10

Commissioner Minutes – courthouse contract 

Photos taken 2008 and 2010