Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: February 17, 1843
Albia 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Albia
Location: 10 Benton Avenue East / Main Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: O O Smith
Contractor: James Rowan and Son
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored sandstone structure. The south front and the other three sides have a slightly projecting center section which rises to a pediment above the roof line. On the east and west sides are square towers rising to a small white dome. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is high square stone tower with clock and four small parapets.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1846. The second courthouse was built in 1860. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $100,000.
E – Wapello County
S – Appanoose County
W – Lucas County
Photos taken 2008