Marshall County is named for John Marshall, who was Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Created: January 13, 1846
Marietta 1852 – 1860
Marshalltown 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Marshalltown
Location: 17 East Main Street / Center Street
Built: 1884 – 1886
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J C Cochrane
Contractor: La Grand Quarry Company, Banzhaf & Atkinson and D W Townsend.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story limestone structure. The north front has a portico with four columns rising to a balcony at the second story. The center section projects from the main building and rises above the roof line with three statues at the top. Peaked roofs are on the east and west sides. In the building center is a high square limestone dome with clock, dome and small cupola at the top.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Marietta in 1852. A courthouse was also built in Marshall ( Marshalltown ) in 1860 and used until 1886.
E – Tama Country
S – Jasper County
W – Story County
Photos taken 2008