Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Jasper County
E – Mahaska County
W – Warren County
Created: June 10, 1845
Knoxville 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Knoxville
Location: 214 East Main Street / South 3rd Street
Architect: Mifflin Emien Bell
Contractor: Charles A Moses
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Knoxville. The center section projects from the main building with entrance having three arches on the first story. Above is a large arched window on the second story rising to an arched window at the fourth story dormer. There are small dormers along the roof. In the center of the building is a high square stone clock tower with open arch, clock above and steep peaked roof. The building houses the County District Court of the 5A Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1845 and Knoxville was selected as the county seat in 1846. The first courthouse was built in 1846 at a cost of $700. The second courthouse was built in 1856 at a cost of $20,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1896 at a cost of $80,000.
County Courthouse - Knoxville
Photos taken 2008